THE ROAD THEATRE COMPANY
& Taylor Gilbert and Sam Anderson
The Eighth Annual
SUMMER PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL
8 Days! 30+ plays!
Receptions and live music nightly!
We are now accepting submissions for our 8th Annual Summer Playwrights Festival, to be held July 30 – August 6, 2017! The festival includes staged readings of new plays by emerging and nationally acclaimed playwrights, as well as guest celebrity appearances, live music, and more! The Summer Playwrights Festival 8 (SPF8) is a fundraising event that helps to support The Road Theatre Company’s mission to support and produce new plays and to add to the larger theatrical conversation. The Summer Playwrights Festival is unique in the country as we produce more staged readings in 8 days than anyone else. We average between 32-40 new works each festival. Our track record for bringing plays from the festival into our main season stands at 16 full productions from the past 7 festivals! We feel we offer an amazing opportunity for new plays to be seen and enjoyed by the greater Los Angeles community in an extraordinary way. The festival operates on a suggested donation basis with no set ticket price to insure that we are completely accessible to the entire Los Angeles community. Everything we raise from the festival goes directly into supporting our programming less a very modest producing budget.
PLAYWRIGHTS, PLEASE NOTE:
The Summer Playwrights Festival is an entirely volunteer run effort. Our play reading committee, and our entire staff is made up of Road Theatre Company members who volunteer their time to help support new plays and playwrights. In addition, all of the actors, directors, designers & musicians are donating their time. Our festival has grown each year in attendance and in play submissions and has expanded to the point that we must now begin charging a small processing fee for all submissions. Since we do not have a set ticket price (it is purely donation), the fee will help support festival costs and will enable us to continue producing this beloved event every year. All of the money made goes back into the festival. For instructions on how to submit, please read the Submission Guidelines below.
- Submissions will be accepted from January 1 through 11:59pm March 1, 2017.
- Any length is acceptable. However, we prefer full-length and/or ten-minute plays.
- To submit your play, email a PDF of the script to moc.liamgnull@lavitsefsthgirwyalpremmus. Please name your file with the title of your play (for example, if your play is called “My Play Rules,” the file name should be myplayrules.pdf.) In the body of the email, please include the following:
- Your name, email address, and phone number
- The title of the play
- A brief synopsis (a few sentences is fine)
- Any production history
- Once you have emailed us your play, please send your submission fee via PayPal to:
- The submission fee is $10 for plays 30 pages or less, or $20 for plays over 30 pages. If the email address on your PayPal account does not match the email address from which your play was submitted, please let us know so that we can accurately match your payment with your play.
- If you experience difficulties sending payment via PayPal, you may instead send a check. Please make the check out to The Road Theatre Company and mail it to 5108 Lankershim Blvd., North Hollywood, CA 91601, along with a note indicating the title of the play(s) covered by your submission fee and an email address where we may confirm that your payment has been received.
- We will notify all playwrights of their submission status no later than July 1, 2017.
- Plays must be unpublished.
- Adaptations acceptable only if the playwright has written proof of rights to the original work, or if the original work is in the public domain.
- Plays must not have received a full production in Los Angeles County.
If you have questions about the submission process, please contact us at moc.liamgnull@8tsefyalpremmus. We will respond as soon as we are able.